Dental health is more important that people may realize. Not only is brushing and flossing daily a must, but eating the right and wrong foods can play a big role in keeping teeth and gums strong as well. Below are recommendations on what you should consume in your diets and what you should try to eliminate to keep your teeth and gums strong and healthy.
- Raw, crunchy fruits and vegetables every day: consuming raw fruits and veggies can not only make teeth stronger, but can also help to clean teeth (think: carrots, peppers, apples etc.)
- Probiotics: consuming probiotics may help in decreasing gingivitis and plaque overtime
- Green Tea: Green tea has polyphenols in it, which has been known to reduce bacteria and toxic products of bacteria in the mouth. Tea is also very rich in flouride, which is a great tooth strengthener.
- Soy: Diets that include soy may help to reduce periodontal disease.
- Arginine: This is an important amino acid that can help alter oral pH levels and help to reduce the chance of cavities. Be sure to consume lots of spinach, lentils, nuts, eggs, whole grains, meats, seafood and soy in diets
- Sugar! Stay away from extremely sugary things such as sodas and candies
- Soda: sipping on these sugary drinks will not only give teeth a hit of sugar, but since they are also extremely acidic, they can promote demineralization of the teeth.
- Added Sugar: Although the consumption of too much sugar, regardless of them being added or naturally occurring, added sugars take the cake! Stay away from added sugars, they can promote cavities, gum disease, and more.
- Smoking: Smoking can wreak havoc on gums and overall tooth health, especially if smoking for a long period of time.
Contact us today and learn more about keeping your teeth healthy and having a sparkling smile!