TMJ stands for temporomandibular joint, which is the moveable joint that connects your lower jaw to your skull. The muscles around the joint allow your jaw to move freely, allowing you to eat, talk and yawn. If you have a problem with your temporomandibular joint, you may have a temporomandibular disorder, also called TMD. Symptoms of TMD include:
1. Inability to open your mouth wide.
2. Pain in your face, shoulders or neck, temporomandibular joint area or around your ears.
3. Clicking or popping sound when you use your jaw.
4. Swelling in your face.
5. Your jaw gets “locked” and you are unable to open or close it.
Dr. Braverman Offers Custom Dental Appliances
If you are suffering from symptoms of TMD, it is important to consult your dentist and explain your symptoms. Depending on the severity of your condition, there are several home and medical treatments available. Treatments include:
1. Heat and cold packs applied to the area.
2. Consumption of soft foods only.
3. Prescription medications.
4. Laser therapy.
5. Corrective dental treatments.
6. Splint or night guard.
If you need corrective dental treatments, Dr. Braverman offers a large variety of dental solutions to meet your needs, and custom dental appliances are often created for patients as part of Dr. Braverman’s treatment plan. If you are in need of a consultation, call Dr. Braverman at 212-688-3838 to schedule an appointment.